[darcs-users] Re: Branching from a repos that pulls patches from me

Daniel Déchelotte boite_a_spam at club-internet.fr
Wed May 31 10:26:01 UTC 2006

[First, apologizes for double-posting my last email :-/]

Eric Y. Kow a écrit :

> So what you want to have is something like this?
>
> before
> ------
> W+3
> S+3
>
> after
> -----
> S+3
>
> after some more work
> --------------------
> W+N
> S+3+N
>
> (you do N patches which safety pulls in)
>
> If so, once you are sure that safety has the +3 patches you can just
> obliterate them from working, no?

I was thinking of using obliterate/unpull, but the warnings in the
manual made me think twice and ask here. :)

> Out of curiosity, is there a risk of conflicts between the +3 and the
> +N?

Oh yes, absolutely. The N new patches won't apply to "S+3", only to "S".
Can a repos store the "3" and "N" patches, even if they are conflicting?

Ideally, I would add a tag (saying "tried something that didn't work as
expected") to "working", pulled it in "safety", then obliterate the tag
and the last 3 patches, and continue from there.

I might have to keep repos "safety" to hold "S+3" and create another
"safety_bis" repository for the active "S+N" branch.

> > I could create a "working_bis" repos, pulling everything from the
> > "safety" repos but the last 3 patches, but then how can patches flow
> > from "working_bis" to "safety"?
>
> Note that darcs can pull from several repositories at once.  There is
> a default --union behaviour, and an --intersection one as well.

Interesting, thanks.

--
Daniel Déchelotte
                  http://yo.dan.free.fr/