[darcs-users] What if darcs is generating too inclusive of hunks?

Drew Vogel dvogel at intercarve.net
Thu Nov 9 16:30:36 UTC 2006

  I've been using darcs to manage my php web app for a while with great
success. However I recently made a ton of changes to a file and not
darcs is generating hunks that include too many changes (and, in some
cases, would duplicate many lines in the file). I am using v1.0.8.

E.g. I changed this code:

    $smarty->assign("m_action", @$_REQUEST["m_action"]);
    switch (@$_REQUEST["m_action"]) {
    case "summarize-calls-by-interviewer":
    case "summarize-calls-by-project":

to this:

    extract(R("m_action"), EXTR_OVERWRITE);
    $smarty->assign("m_action", $m_action);
    switch ($m_action) {
    case "analyze-todays-calls":
    [... a ton of new code ...]
    case "summarize-calls-by-interviewer":
    case "summarize-calls-by-project":

I want to generate a patch that includes only this:

    - $smarty->assign("m_action", @$_REQUEST["m_action"]);
    - switch (@$_REQUEST["m_action"]) {
    + extract(R("m_action"), EXTR_OVERWRITE);
    + $smarty->assign("m_action", $m_action);
    + switch ($m_action) {

But darcs is generating a hunk that includes the code that I've
shortened to [... a ton of code ...] above because it finds the
"summarize-calls-by-interviewer" text below it. I know I should have
made these changes separately, but it's a little late now :) Is there a
way to make darcs be less aggressive/exhaustive while it is diff'ing?

Drew Vogel