[darcs-users] darcs push over SSH at virtual hosting

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Nov 11 10:44:54 UTC 2006

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 11:16:04 +0200, Alexander Pugachev wrote:
>Hi.
>I have little problem with pushing changes to remote repository over
>SSH.  Remote repositary is at hoster's server, I can not install
>programs there. So I took statically linked darcs binary and put it to
>home directory and in file ~/.profile exported home directory to $PATH,
>logged out, logged in and  used darcs to initialize repository. Then
>pushed changes local changes to remote repository.
>
>D:\darcs_test>darcs push user at server:darcs_test --all
>plink: unknown option "-O"
>Pushing to "user at server:darcs_test"...
>sh: line 1: darcs: command not found
>
>"plink" it is from ssh executable coming with darcs, it does not hurt.
>But "darcs: command not found" means that darcs is not on $PATH. I read
>man 1 ssh and figured out that when using non-interactive SSH mode file
>all that .bashrc and other .profile files are not executed.  Instead
>file pointed in  $BASH_ENV environment variable is executed.  And there
>was one another way  which allowed to execute .bashrc file on start,
>but it required to change settings for sshd.
>
>To make clear what I have in $PATH when using darcs push over SSH I
>said
>
>ssh user at server "echo $PATH"
>
>and received "/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin" in answer.
>I cant put my darcs binary in that dirs. I asked my hoster to make my
>$PATH to be the same in both interactive and non-interactive modes in
>any way they like, but for now no results. So here is my question.
>
>How can I point what darcs binary to use on remote side when I do push
>over SSH?
>Or how can I run some command over SSH before remote darcs command will
>be called (to export needed directory to $PATH)?

Depending on what system you're on you might be interested in this
mailing thread:

 http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2006-September/010366.html

/M

magnus at therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning at gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Finagle's Fourth Law:
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it only makes it
worse.