[darcs-users] darcs & git

stephen at xemacs.org stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Nov 13 05:54:52 UTC 2006

Juliusz Chroboczek writes:

 > Dear Gour,
 >
 > > I've tried to build darcs-unstable with --enable-git, but it failed.
 >
 > Darcs-git is broken, and has been so for a few months already.
 >
 > Native git is far from being as friendly as Darcs, but it's quite
 > usable as long as you don't need to do any merging (let alone
 > cherry-picking).

[Aside: as I'm sure Julius knows, "git rebase" is your friend here.
It doesn't do the work of matching up the same patch and only applying
it once automatically the way darcs does, but it does allow you to
break it up into smaller chunks, and there are many fewer spurious
conflicts if you are merging from multiple branches when all are
frequently rebased, as compared to working without rebase.]

 > Here's a quick starter, with equivalent Darcs
 > commands as comments:
 >
 >   git clone git+ssh://.../foo              # darcs get
 >   cd foo
 >   hack, hack, hack
 >   git status -a -v                         # darcs what
 >   git record                               # darcs record

"git commit", right?