[darcs-users] darcs & git

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Nov 14 19:08:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 05:39:54PM -0800, Jason Dagit wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> >A more reasonable size is that of Ghc, and that's something we should
> >care about more than we do:
> >
> >  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue?%40search_text=simonpj
> >  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue?%40search_text=simonmar
>
> Juliusz is 100% correct here in my opinion.  And also, the Simons have
> been kindly reporting their problems and afaik, very few of their bug
> reports have been worked on.  Getting the windows support to be first
> class would be one way to help out the Simons (it appears SPJ is using
> windows in most of his bugs).

Just to add a "me too".  The trouble is that all too many of the "senior"
darcs developers have very little time to spend on darcs any more.  :( It's
not reasonable to ask any more of Eric, who's already doing lots more work
than the rest of us old folks.  And if I did have time (or with the time
that I do have), the Simons will almost certainly agree that it's a better
idea spending it working out conflict handling (which has severely bitten
them) than tracking down their bug reports...

Alas, it just takes a lot of volunteers to get a project like this to work.
I'm giving a colloquiem in the CS department next week on darcs, and maybe
I'll interest some undergrad who might have time for some hacking on
darcs--but even then, I've not even got much time for walking someone
through darcs' internals.
Dept. of Physics
Oregon State University