[darcs-users] Darcs performance (mainly memory usage)

leslie.polzer at gmx.net leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Wed Nov 15 11:50:38 UTC 2006

Hello users and developers alike,

  the GNU Parted project is currently in the process of switching from
Subversion to Darcs.  Unfortunately, Darcs seems to eat a whole lot of
memory for doing the most simple things...

  Have a look:

---

parted at viridian-project:/var/www/darcs/parted/otavio$ darcs push -va
../1.8.x/
Pushing to "../1.8.x"...
We have the following patches to push:
Sun Nov 12 18:49:40 CET 2006  Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>
  * Remove old files that were left around due darcs migration.
Sat Nov 11 21:31:22 CET 2006  Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>
  * Fix ChangeLog format.
Sat Nov 11 21:09:17 CET 2006  Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>
  * Enable backtrace just if it's has support on libc.
Sat Nov 11 20:41:12 CET 2006  Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>
  * Add -rdynamic to LDFLAGS.
Sat Nov 11 20:40:19 CET 2006  Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>
  * Add -rdynamic to CFLAGS
Sat Nov 11 20:38:11 CET 2006  Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>
  * Print backtrace stack when throwing an exception

Fail: realloc: resource exhausted (out of memory)

[...]

Shall I push this patch? (1/6)  [ynWvpxqadjk], or ? for help: y

Sat Nov 11 20:40:19 CET 2006  Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>
  * Add -rdynamic to CFLAGS
Shall I push this patch? (2/6)  [ynWvpxqadjk], or ? for help: d

Fail: realloc: resource exhausted (out of memory)

parted at viridian-project:/var/www/darcs/parted/otavio$ du -hc | grep total
34M     total
parted at viridian-project:/var/www/darcs/parted/otavio$ du -hc ../1.8.x/ | grep total
3.4M    total

---

The latter one is not a pristine tree, just _darcs.

  The process eats about 160 memory, which is the point at which it
doesn't get any more (it's a virtual server, obviously with hard
limits).  But the changes are very small, so where does the memory
go?

  Do we have to ditch Darcs and switch to another VCS? :/

  Kind regards,

    Leslie

--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DD4EBF83
http://nic-nac-project.de/~skypher/