[not resolved, but worked around] Re: [darcs-users] bug with exotic file names?

Matthias Fischmann fis at wiwi.hu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 21 09:24:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 09:21:37AM +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:
> More shots in the dark: fsck the file system to see that it doesn't have
> errors?  'dmesg'
> will probably also tell you if there are system problems (like a failing
> disk).

erm...  i wouldn't really want to know that ;)

but the problem consistently occurs on different copies of the repo on
my local machine.  i think drive corruption should result in a more
non-deterministic behaviour.  anyway, i will do that when i've posted
this message.

> cp -a/rsync to another computer, and see if things work there?  (I

this one almost did the trick.  i tried to remove the file on a backup
copy of the repo that i have stashed away on another machine.  that
machine runs darcs 1.0.2 and didn't complain, but just remove the
file.

now i can fix the problem and keep working.

HOWEVER: this doesn't feel like a big conclusion.  is darcs supposed
to behave in an undefined way if i use file names with colons in it?
(in that case it should probably go to the specs.)  if not: is it a
bug, now that i have shown that 'darcs-1.0.2 remove' works, and
'darcs-1.0.8' fails on an identical copy?

if you are not bored with this yet i am glad to keep investigating
with you.  otherwise feel free to consider me helped.

> presume you've
> run 'darcs check' already?)

yes, one of the few things i've thought of myself.  it is wise to
mention it anyway, though.  (-:

thank you all, you've made my day!  :-]
matthias