FW: [darcs-users] Re: several variants and developers at the same time

Nimrod A. Abing nimrod.abing at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 11:53:09 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Ben Hood <Ben.Hood at voca.com> wrote:
> >This will make darcs ignore patches with the prefix during the push.
> >Of course this will break if one of your patches to your
> >common source tree depend on any of the "local" changes you
> >made so you should make sure that this does not happen in the
> >first place. In this case, darcs will not push anything that
> >depends on the local patch due to the ---matches option you specified.
>
> Are you talking about patches where that have been recorded using the
> --ask-deps option, or just patches that have some functional dependency
> on a previous patch?

Only the ones reported by --ask-deps I think. If by functional
dependency you mean patches that are required by other patches to
function properly, then I don't think darcs is able to figure that
out(?)

You could however "link" patches that are functional dependencies of
other patches using tags. That way pushing a tag to your common
repository will also push those patches that depend on the tag.
However, if you still use --matches with your push, it will probably
fail if one of those dependencies are prefixed.

> I assume that in the former, darcs will prevent the push from breaking
> the parent and in the latter, the push operation will silently break the
> parent. Is this correct?

Yes. That is correct. Especially with the latter, since darcs is
unable to determine if one patch is a functional dependency of
another. Only you are able to decide on that and darcs can help if you
use tags.
--
_nimrod_a_abing_

[?] http://abing.gotdns.com