[darcs-users] 'darcs check' fails with 'Unapplicable patch'

Calvin calvins.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 21:59:31 UTC 2006

I have a repository I've been using for months. I had only been making
changes on my laptop, and pushing to a backup location.

Today I tried to pull from the backup to a new machine for the first
time, and there was an error:

Applying patch 142 of 175... Unapplicable patch:
Tue Aug 29 20:18:44 PDT 2006  calvins.lists at gmail.com
  * Problem72 initial (slow) solved.

darcs failed:  Error applying hunk to file ./src/mathchallenge/Problem45.hs

I tried check on all repositories, and they all fail with the same error.

The patch that is causing the error is:

darcs annotate -p "Problem72" -s
Tue Aug 29 20:18:44 PDT 2006  calvins.lists at gmail.com
  * Problem72 initial (slow) solved.
A ./Problem75.ods
M ./compile.sh -1 +3
A ./primitiveTriples.out
M ./src/MathUtils.hs -6 +37
M ./src/mathchallenge/Main.hs -1 +1
M ./src/mathchallenge/Problem45.hs -2 +9
M ./src/mathchallenge/Problem69.hs -1 +5
M ./src/mathchallenge/Problem76.hs -18 +20
A ./src/monadtutorial/
A ./tourofprelude.html

The primitiveTriples.out is a massive text file that was inadvertantly
added (and contains a line that is something like a million characters
long), but the message says the problem is in applying a hung to the
file Problem45.hs.

The only hunks related to Problem45 in that patch are:

hunk ./src/mathchallenge/Problem45.hs 3
-import MathUtils
-
hunk ./src/mathchallenge/Problem45.hs 39
+-- |Creates an infinite list of n-gon numbers; e.g., for n = 3, returns
+-- the triangular numbers (1,3,6,10..), and for n = 5, returns the pentagon $
+-- numbers (1,5,12,22..).                    $
+polyx :: Integer -> [Integer]
+polyx n = polyx' 0 1 diff
+  where diff = n-2
+        polyx' curr incr diff = next : polyx' next (incr + diff) diff
+          where next = curr + incr
+

What can I do to fix this?

The patch is depended on by other patches, and I have changes to some
of the files in the patch (and theProblem45.hs one) that I would
prefer not to lose, but if I have to lose changes between then and
now, that is okay.

Thanks,

Calvin