[darcs-users] How scalable is darcs?

Rafael Almeida almeidaraf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 06:59:42 UTC 2006

Hello,

This morning I created a linux kernel darcs repository by doing (I
don't really need the linux history)

% darcs initialize
% darcs add -r --case-ok *
% darcs record -a

It didn't take too long, so I was happy with that. And then, just out
of curiosity I've tried

% darcs diff

It took several minutes, which I considered a long time. Darcs is
pretty much the only versioning system I've really used so far (I have
a little experience with cvs, but only as a user, I've never even set
a cvs repository). So my question would be if there are other
repository systems that would do better than darcs in this situation,
and how much better.

I've read this
http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-68209e6e104b04ac71812b5f991dc3b58ada2390
but I'm still unsure whether darcs will work out or not. And what are
my options. I'm thinking about using git, do you guys recommend it?