[darcs-users] Newbie question

Nathan Gray kolibrie at graystudios.org
Tue Oct 24 17:32:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 03:19:15PM -0400, Ralph Dratman wrote:
> I have a question. I'm confused about the option NOT to record a
> certain change. When recording, darcs offers me to record, or not
> record, several different changes which I've made since the last
> record command.
>
> If I tell darcs not to record a change, does darcs then revert the
> change in my source files?

No.

> But according to some simple testing, I find that darcs does not
> revert the changes in my source files under those circumstances.
> Doesn't that create a problematic difference between my sources and
> the repository?  So what are the long-term consequences of not
> recording a change?

You generally want to record all changes eventually.  However, there
may be times when you want to record some of your changes into one
patch, and other changes into another patch.

This occurs to be quite frequently when I have made changes, and then
I need to make an unrelated quick fix.  I can easily record just the
quick fix and push that, and then continue with my original work.

> (Another possibility occurs to me: If I decline to record a change, I
> guess I could manually revert that change in my sources. Is that the
> recommended procedure?)

I do that sometimes to remove debugging lines, or "fixes" that did not
work.

-kolibrie