[darcs-users] Newbie question

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Wed Oct 25 04:23:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 03:19:15PM -0400, Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman at gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Hi. I'm very new to darcs and am trying to gain a basic understanding of it.
>
> I have a question. I'm confused about the option NOT to record a
> certain change. When recording, darcs offers me to record, or not
> record, several different changes which I've made since the last
> record command.

  If you've had experience with other version control systems (say,
CVS or Subversion), you know that those systems let you choose to
check in only some of the files that you've modified.  The changes
in the other files remain as a diff against the repository and can
be committed by a later check-in command.

  Recording only some of the changes from a file in darcs is exactly
analogous to only checking in some of the files that you've changed;
darcs just allows you to "check changes into the repository: at a much
finer level of granularity than CVS.  This is actually one of my
favorite darcs features, and I think you'll agree once you've used it
a few times.

  Daniel