[darcs-users] Newbie question

Daniel Burrows Daniel_Burrows at alumni.brown.edu
Fri Oct 27 01:19:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:38:33PM -0400, Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman at gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Thank you very much for your reply. I understand about the selective
> recording, though I hadn't thought of it as being like selective
> check-in.
>
> The difference, in my mind, from CVS or SVN is that after choosing not
> to check a file in, presumably one then replaces it in one's local
> work area with the standard, as-it-was-before copy -- that is, with a
> copy identical to the one in the repository. Since I'm not a habitual
> CVS or SVN user, I don't know how users of those systems customarily
> restore that old version to their local working area.

  I usually don't revert after a checkin, and I'm not quite sure what
the purpose of doing so would be -- after all, I probably want to
eventually commit the rest of the stuff I've been working on too!  If
I need to make two big, overlapping changes (where trying to work in
one repository and record them individually would be too much hassle),
I check out two copies of the repository so I can work on them without
stepping on my own toes -- which, of course, darcs is just perfect for.

  Daniel