[darcs-users] removing old history

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 16:26:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 09:15:55 -0700, Dan wrote:
> I have a darcs repo that was until now private, and I want to make it
> public. Unfortunately the repo history contains some old files (and
> their history) that cannot be made public. How can I create a cleansed
> public repo? Can I just run "darcs remove" and then remove the patch
> files that refer to the offending files?

This depends.  The simple case is if there are no patches which affect
both the private files and the public ones.  In that case, you can just
obliterate the relevant patches.

However, if you have patches that _do_ affect both private and public
files, there isn't any way to get rid of that information without also.
The solution would probably be to generate a Unix diff representing
the public file changes in the patches you want to get rid of,
obliterate the patches, apply the diff and then record a new patch.
Does that make sense?

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.