[darcs-users] darcsweb 0.16

Alberto Bertogli albertito at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 01:50:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 10:33:39AM +1100, Pietro Abate wrote:
> I've a suggestion (I'm posting here since there is no mailing list for
> darcsweb (?))

I just handle all the mails myself, because darcsweb doesn't seem to be
big enough for a mailing list =)

> Will it be worth add a "darcs dist" to generate on the fly a tar.gz,
> for example every time the source is tagged (and maybe of the last
> commit with current`date`.tar.gz) ?
>
> At the moment I generate nightly snapshots with a cron job. I think this
> could be nicely integrated with darcsweb ... And it can be particularly
> useful when darcs is used in conjunction of packaging systems like dpkg
> for debian that requires a .orig.tar.gz so the poeple packaging the
> software are not forced of using darcs to get the latest version of the
> sw.
>
> Is this kind of feature too expensive to be added ?

I think this kind of feature is not inside what darcsweb does. It's a
nice thing to have, I agree, but I don't think it has much to do with
darcsweb.

darcsweb is a repository browser, and what you want is a snapshot
generator. They're related in the sense that both are built over darcs,
but they're different things.

However, I think it shouldn't be hard to make a web-based one, using of
course a cache so that it doesn't generate the whole tarball every time.
If you find it that useful, I might try to do this sometime this week.

Do you expect it to have a web interface, or to be just the generator
CGI with some documentation on how to create links to it?

Does anyone else think this is useful and is willing to test?

Thanks,
		Alberto