[darcs-users] darcsweb 0.16

Pietro Abate Pietro.Abate at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 30 04:55:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 10:50:08PM -0300, Alberto Bertogli wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 10:33:39AM +1100, Pietro Abate wrote:
> darcsweb is a repository browser, and what you want is a snapshot
> generator. They're related in the sense that both are built over
> darcs, but they're different things.
fair enough.

> However, I think it shouldn't be hard to make a web-based one, using of
> course a cache so that it doesn't generate the whole tarball every time.
> If you find it that useful, I might try to do this sometime this week.
This would be nice. I had a quick glance at the code, but I think that
what I want would require a "darcs pull --tags" to create a temp repo
and a "darcs dist" in the temporary repo to create the tarball. Am I
missing something ?

> Do you expect it to have a web interface, or to be just the generator
> CGI with some documentation on how to create links to it?
I was just thinking to have a <download tgz> link associated to every
tag in the code. This link should then trigger a function to generate
the tarball or just re-use it, if present one in the cache.
Alternatively, we can just have a link associate to every commit, or if
this is too complicated or expensive (for the reason above), just a link
to generate the snapshot of the repo as it is.

what you think ? If there is an easy way to generate a tgz given a tag,
something like "darcs dist --tag=TAG" or something more general "darcs
dist --to-patch=PATCH" to generate a tarball of the repo up to the
selected patch, then I'll be happy to try to add this feature myself.

:)

++ Blog: http://blog.rsise.anu.edu.au/?q=pietro
++
++ "All great truths begin as blasphemies." -George Bernard Shaw
++ Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.