[darcs-users] Compile error on Solaris 10 Intel

j3h joshhoyt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 18:28:58 UTC 2006

On 9/4/06, Peter Mechlenborg <peter at mu.dk> wrote:
> I am trying to compile darcs on Solaris 10 Intel, and have partially
> succeeded.  Partially because my own tests seems to work, but I had to
> hack around a compile time error and also 'make test' fails.
>
> I would like to know if someone knows how to avoid the hack I use, and
> why the test suite fails and maybe also a way to fix the failures.

[snip]

> Running bad_pending_after_pull.sh ...            FAILED!
> Output from failed bad_pending_after_pull.sh:
>
> [ -n "$DARCS" ] || DARCS=$PWD/../darcs
> export EMAIL=tester
> bad_pending_after_pull.sh: EMAIL=tester: is not an identifier

[snip]

I'm no expert, but it looks like the Solaris shell doesn't like the
syntax that the darcs tests are using. I think that pure Bourne shell
doesn't allow assignment in an export statement. This could be fixed
by running the tests with Bash or submitting a patch that separates
the export statement from the assignment statements.

Josh