[darcs-users] [hoan at ton-that.org: [darcs-devel] New ignore and unignore commands]

Lele Gaifax lele at nautilus.homeip.net
Thu Sep 14 19:18:11 UTC 2006

Max Battcher wrote:
> On 9/14/06, Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>> I will not use this functionality myself, I think tand hat the
>> submitter is using the wrong tool for the job (he wants to use
>> Unison).
>
> I disagree.

I agree with you on this point (even if I understood Juliusz statement
in another way, not suggesting the use of Unison...), since it happened
to me a few times, of inadvertitely record a local modification (not the
password kind, but rather debug statements). Anyway, in these cases, I'd
prefer the local changesets approach (it would be enough being able to
specify a particular exclude-patch/exclude-match option to pull/push):
that's a more powerfull way of achieving the same goal.

But I tend to agree with him on the other points he raised:

  * no need to introduce two new commands (suggested options ala find
    would be enough): it would call another pair to "edit" the boring
    file, and then maybe some other to edit defaultrepo, repos and so
    on.
  * high chance of missing something, so that I'd like to be alerted
    when darcs ignores something (much like it warns be about omitting
    boring entries)
  * an option like exclude-path would be better than a "ignored-files"

thanks&bye,
lele.