[darcs-users] Huge mess moving to mac

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon Apr 16 21:24:15 UTC 2007

I wrote:
>> How do Windows people handle this problem?

Max Battcher wrote:

<flame>

> Generally?  We yell at project maintainers that are too
> lazy to watch for case-sensitivity issues.

<flame-response type="so there!">

Well, if we are being judgemental, we actually should
yell at project managers who don't use the most
natural file names. Unless there is a very good reason -
such as knowing that the project might someday
be added to a darcs repo, AND that the darcs repo might
then someday be replicated onto a machine that is
running a brain-dead OS, AND that darcs does not
yet handle this problem.

</flame-response></flame>

Sorry.

Anyway, I guess what you're saying is that there
really isn't any easy way around this problem
on Windows. And although there is a pretty good
work-around on MacOS, it is still a work-around.

So the wiki should say that in a darcs repo, you should
be careful never to use file names that differ only by
case. Unless you are absolutely certain that the repo
will never be used on Windows, and probably never
on MacOS either. But if you do happen to need to
use a repo like that on MacOS, here is a work-around...

Regards,
Yitz