No subject

Fri Aug 24 18:29:08 UTC 2007

<something>' is supposed to be escaped with \xx in bold blue,
but somehow isn't.

  escape1 c | isAscii c && (isPrint c || isSpace c) = Nothing

catches what not to escape.  In my case this would be better
as just

  escape1 c | isPrint c || isSpace c = Nothing

since my locale match the coding of my files and isPrint thus
tells what chars in my files can be printed.  I am still on
debian woody and have failed to backport the newer Haskell
compiler, so I can not try this.

I don't know so much about insane/complicated encodings,
but use of multi-char sequence encodings could possibly
defeat isPrint.  Does this apply to UTF8?

I think that setting the locale should be the way to tell
darcs how to interpret the files.  This is how any other
program, like the viewer, editor and compiler and of course
the shell and terminal, would have to interpret the files.
By changing the locale, all of these programs should change
their interpretation of the files in the repo.

There will be situations when this is not enough.  We have
for example the unpleasant situation when someone recodes a
repo from, say 8859-1 to UTF8, and after a while runs `darcs
annotate <file>'.