[darcs-users] Bounty on the conflict misery bug

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Wed Aug 22 01:11:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 05:40:49PM +0200, Alexander Staubo <alex at purefiction.net> was heard to say:
> We have gradually realized that the probability of hitting this
> problem grows proportionally to the age of any branch. This is a
> considerable and costly problem for us -- developer time is simply too
> expensive to be wasted on fighting the version control system.

  You might want to look into other version control systems that don't
try to be as clever as darcs.  I found it to be fairly easy to convert
my darcs repositories to Mercurial with only a little flailing around;
I've heard good things about git too.  Compared to fighting your tool or
paying thousands of dollars for someone to fix it, it might be a good
alternative.

  I know how attached we coders get to our tools, and in all other ways
darcs is a pretty awesome one, but sometimes you have to accept that the
negatives outweigh the positives and let go of it.

  (just MHO, take it for what it's worth)

  Daniel