[darcs-users] Bounty on the conflict misery bug

Eric S Fraga e.fraga at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 22:44:24 UTC 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 05:04:16AM -0400, Zach wrote:
> When I pull many updates on my local machine running darcs (Debian) it
> is fine, but when I run darcs on a remote account (older version) it
> hangs in some infinite loop and tries to consume all of the CPU!

I have a similar experience albeit using the same version of darcs on
all systems. What I seem to have found is that on one of my systems,
darcs does seem to get into an infinite loop. However, I believe that
what is actually happening is that darcs causes the system to thrash
about using swap space. The key difference between my various systems
is the amount of actual physical RAM -- darcs seems to require a very
large amount of memory in some cases and if the system ends up
swapping, it ends up thrashing and no effective progress is possible.

cheers,
eric

--
NL Professor Eric S Fraga, Chemical Engineering, University College London