[darcs-users] Slow Push and Pull with Remote Repository

Denis Bueno dbueno at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 23:01:43 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, Thomas David Baker <bakert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to solve a problem with a repository.  Each pull and push
> takes about 3 minutes.
>
> It is a large-ish repository (109MB total, _darcs folder is 61MB, 2370
> changes according to "darcs changes").

I ran into a similar problem with a large repo. I put all my class
assignments in a version-controlled edu/ directory of about 384 MB.
After created a darcs repo (both remote and local), issuing a darcs
pull took a long time (I didn't wait for it to finish) and used 1GB of
memory before I killed it off. I was running darcs on a Dual 2.5GHz
PowerMac G5. Using CVS or SVN for the same repo succeeded quickly and
without incident.

Is there some non-obvious reason why the time taken is so different
from CVS and SVN? Or, more generally, why is it so slow?

-Denis