[darcs-users] Slow Push and Pull with Remote Repository

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Feb 7 23:24:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:46:10PM +0000, Thomas David Baker wrote:
> Hello,

Hi.

> I'm trying to solve a problem with a repository.  Each pull and push
> takes about 3 minutes.
>
> It is a large-ish repository (109MB total, _darcs folder is 61MB, 2370
> changes according to "darcs changes").
> As each one takes up to a second this is why it is so slow.  Even if I
> check out a new repository, make a one line change and then push it
> still does hundreds of these.
>
> I've tried issuing "darcs checkpoint" on the remote copy to no avail.

You probably need to create a tag.  Darcs uses tags to optimize the
treatment of old history.  Another possibility is that you've got some sort
of weird disjoint tags, and darcs optimize isn't able to figure out a good
way to order your partches.

> Probably unrelatedly if I try and do "darcs optimize --reorder-patches
> --checkpoint" on my local copy I get:

> darcs: bug in darcs!
> fromJust error at DarcsRepo.lhs:525 compiled 06:01:36 Sep 13 2006

Have you sent in a bug report on this? This bug doesn't look familiar to
me, unless you've got a partial repository.  I don't have time to look into
this any time soon, but if you file a bug report, someone else may.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University