[darcs-users] How to record only patches, not original files

robin at shorestreet.com robin at shorestreet.com
Sat Jun 16 19:54:35 UTC 2007

Quoting Isaac Dupree <isaacdupree at charter.net>:
> Robin Bate Boerop wrote:
> > How can I create a repo in which only changes are recorded?  So, suppose
> > I have a large set of files which I want to change, but I don't want
> > that large set of files in my repo because I don't want other users of
> > the repo to be able to copy those files.
>
> Any particular reason why?  lower bandwidth?  semi-secrecy for
> proprietary code?  (by the way, if the GPL applies to any of those
> files, not providing the originals along with your patches probably
> violates the license no matter what.)

The reason is to avoid copyright issues related to the large set of files.  The
patches are not considered "work based on the program", as it says in GPL2.
This is in the same way that publishing errata for a book is not violating the
copyright of that book's author.  So, you are mistaken in your assertion of the
GPL's applicability (though I understand that you said "probably violates").

In fact, the large set of files could even have a stronger copyright
restriction; they could be "all rights reserved", and what I propose is still
not a violation of copyright law.  However, as this is off-topic, I will say no
more about it on this list.  If you think that I am mistaken, consult a lawyer.

That said, there are other reasons to do exactly what I am trying to do.  For
example, the bandwidth issue you suggest.  That is quite significant when one
is making small patches for a large code base, especially a large code base
that the likely users of the patches have already downloaded.