[darcs-users] RE: current status of darcs

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 8 11:15:15 UTC 2007

Simon Peyton-Jones writes:

 > In any event, what we have learned is that our main repository must
 > contain NO conflict resolver patches.  None.
 >
 > (I don't know what an iterated conflict is,

I don't know myself if there's a standard term; what I mean by it is
that the existing conflict resolution patch in the mainline then
conflicts with a later patch in the local branch when you do pull -a.

 > nor what git is

git is the SCM used by the Linux kernel developers.  I tried Darcs for
a while, but find git more usable at present.  git is dumb but fast; I
am (relatively speaking) smart but slow.  It's a marriage made in
heaven. ;-)  Even Darcs's incremental commit is dispensable (mostly
because Stefan Monnier's diff-mode.el is a more than adequate
substitute in daily use, and essential when dissecting megapatches).