[darcs-users] Re: current status of darcs

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Mar 13 18:55:26 UTC 2007

Emilio Lopes writes:

 > I guess this is off-topic here, but could you explain how do you use
 > `diff-mode' for this?  By "incremental commit" I understand that one can
 > make many, some even unrelated, changes to the work area and then choose at
 > commit-time which ones should be checked in.

scm-du-jour diff > current.diff

and then use diff-mode (plus some easy helper commands) to split the
patch into hunks and save them to individual files, which I then apply
sequentially with patch and commit (record) with the scm.  Once the
helper commands are defined and bound to keystrokes, it's not a lot
more keystrokes than darcs record, and the buffer interface makes
navigation a lot faster and selection somewhat more accurate.  The
ability to split hunks in situ occasionally comes in handy to make the
changesets more coherent.