[darcs-users] CRLF Problem

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu May 3 23:37:16 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Kurt Granroth <darcs-users at granroth.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to roll out darcs to the devel group at my job as well and so far
> there is only one show-stopper... the "CRLF Problem".  The lack of a
> WinCVS-like GUI is slowing things down and its memory hog tendencies
> (especially on Windows) is also not winning any fans, but the quantum leap in
> possibilities is trumping all.  Except for the CRLF issue.  We have too much
> development where files are shared between Linux and Windows developers to
> just mandate one line ending.

What sort of tools/editor are you using that are so sensitive to line
endings?  Myself, when I'm developing on windows I'm usually using
emacs, visual studio or textpad; none of which have issues with line
endings.  On unix I use emacs or vi and have no problems there either.

Have your seen TortoiseDarcs?  http://tortoisedarcs.sourceforge.net/

> At this point, I run the attached 'darcs2dos' script which converts all
> non-binary files in pristine and the working tree into DOS format *and* tries
> to convert the patches as well.

Modifying patches seems like a really, really, really bad idea.

Do you know Haskell?  Pre-hooks wouldn't be hard to implement if you
want to get started on it.

Jason