[darcs-users] darcs patch revision protocol

Pekka Pessi ppessi at gmail.com
Tue May 29 21:04:05 UTC 2007

2007/5/29, Isaac Dupree <isaacdupree at charter.net>:
> > That is simple. Undo your changes and amend them. Darcs is intelligent
> > enough to combine your changes.
>
> I had "darcs replace" patch and recorded it.  Then I made another "darcs
> replace"ment.  Then I amend-recorded the first patch to include that.
> Then I changed my mind and decided I didn't want that second replacement
> to be part of the patch.  (1) I'm not sure how to undo the "replace".

You just switch the tokens in the replace command. Like "darcs replace
foo bar file" undoes "darcs replace bar foo file". I think you can
edit output of darcs changes -v or darcs whatis commands.

Of course, it would be doubleplusgood if darcs record or amend could
input diffs or patch  contents (hunks etc.) directly instead of
requiring that the files are actually edited. But then I guess it is
possible to edit the patch files directly and darcs apply them to your
repo (but there is some Haskell required).

> (2) At the time, I didn't even want to undo the _change_, I just wanted
> it out of the original patch so that it could become part of a separate
> patch.

Redo would involve issuing the original darcs replace command, much
easier than fiddling with diff and patch.

Pekka.Pessi mail at nokia.com