[darcs-users] scanning for SSH [was: ssh path]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Nov 23 23:36:42 UTC 2007

OT, so this is my last post on this here.

Yitzchak Gale writes:

 > people do it, after which the bots will start
 > scanning for them and we'll be back to square 1.

That has already started happening, according to friends using
non-standard ports.  Still, it helps a lot, of course, about 200:1
reduction in bots accesses to sshd last I heard.

Regarding tarpits and the like: I don't recommend using them unless
you don't mind being a martyr, and definitely not saying you do where
it's google-able.  I know a few people who have been dos'ed in
apparent retaliation.