[darcs-users] Was this rollback maybe a mistake?

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Tue Nov 27 23:13:06 UTC 2007

Hi Experts

in a recent post I mentioned that we did a darcs rollback on a (recursive)
directory remove in order to resurrect some file which should have been
moved to another directory instead of being deleted. In the meantime I have
read the new ConflictsFAQ and the related HiddenConflicts wiki pages. The
were several warnings not to use rollback when resolving conflicts, and
since I really don't understand all the dangers fully, I'd like to ask if
this was maybe a Bad Idea (TM). Specifically what I did was

(1) rollback the directory remove patch
(2) revert everything
(3) move the relevant files to another directory
(3) again remove the (now smaller) directory
(4) record everything (excluding the rollback, of course) in a single patch
(5) check, test, and push the two patches to the backup repo

Safe, or not safe, that is here the question. (I think it is, since darcs
never reported a conflict in this scenario; in fact, the whole procedure
was done to /avoid/ a conflict; anyway I just want to make sure I don't
have a time bomb lying around.)

Cheers
Ben