[darcs-users] making add/remove file commute with content change

Ketil Malde ketil.malde at bccs.uib.no
Wed Nov 28 08:35:59 UTC 2007

Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de> writes:

> I am not exactly sure what you mean with 'partial repositories'. Are you
> thinking about e.g. CVS where you can work with only a subdirectory of the
> whole repository?

Yes, exactly.

> If I understand you correctly, you think this could be
> done (with the ghost proposal) by 'darcs remove'ing stuff that you don't
> want to have lying around. Maybe, but why would you want to do this?

I think this functionality is useful.  As a practical example, I'd
like to get the Judy tree implementation which is part of Pugs.

For my own stuff, I have a library and a handful of applications as
separate darcs repos.  This is more manageable, but means that when a
patch changes the interface in the library, there will be separate,
corresponding patches to some of the applications, but no way to tie
these together.

If they were all in a single repo, I would be able to produce combined
patches, but somebody who just wanted to use the library would have to
pull the whole thing.

If you allow 'ghost' modifications to non-existing files, you could
conceivably 'darcs get' just the library subdirectory.  Any hunks
regarding the applications would just exist as ghost hunks until you
decide to pull in an application subdir.

-k