[darcs-users] darcs over nfs

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sat Oct 6 00:50:13 UTC 2007

> Hi, I am attempting to get darcs used in a production environment at
> work. We currently have a nfs filesystem that is shared among all the
> development machines, would it be advisable to just access the main
> darcs repo over the nfs filesystem? are there any issues with multiple
> machines accessing the same repo this way, either in theory or practice?

Unless your NFS implementation is buggy, there should not be any
issues.  I am fairly positive that Darcs should be reliable on:

  - Sun's NFS 2;
  - correctly implemented NFS 3;
  - the buggy implementation of NFS 3 in Linux before 2.6.5.

Of course, if you're using an implementation of NFS that is not based
on Sun's code, all bets are off.  In particular, there are some
implementations of NFS for Windows that I wouldn't trust.

It goes without saying that this information is offered in good faith,
but we only guarantee that if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
This warranty is void in case of nuclear conflict, whether caused by
Darcs or otherwise.

                                        Juliusz