[darcs-users] Can We Change Default Author Behavior?

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Mon Oct 8 21:25:28 UTC 2007

Dan Shafer wrote:
> Is there a setting somewhere in darcs that would make it possible for us
> to require each developer who creates changes to supply his identity
> explicitly as part of a record process? Too often, developers on my team
> accept the default and that makes it impossible for me to trace the
> actual change agent.

I'm not entirely certain what scenario you are dealing with.

Are you talking about in their own repositories?  If your developers are
not using good .darcs/author, _darcs/prefs/author, $DARCS_EMAIL, and/or
$EMAIL settings, then you should talk to your developers and it takes
only a few seconds to fix and a _darcs/prefs/author file is incredibly
easy to keep up to date.  It's pretty goofy for a developer not to give
a correct email address when Darcs prompts for it (generally only once
ever on the first record in a repository, because it saves it to
_darcs/prefs/author), and I've never seen that myself and I certainly
wouldn't accept a patch into main/stable/shared repository without an
email address on it.

On the other hand, if you are having problems with records from shared
repositories...  First of all you should rarely/never have records from
multiple developers made directly in shared repositories.  In Darcs
every developer should have at least one "personal" copy of a
repository.  If you absolutely need to have developers recording from
the same repo (and again this doesn't make much "sense" when using
Darcs), you can create some simple cron job to remove the
_darcs/prefs/author file every so often...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/