[darcs-users] packages + revision control: is that possible?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 08:57:02 UTC 2007

On 9/12/07, Nathan Gray wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 06:16:19PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > I've been googling around, but found no satisfactory solution so far.
> > I would like to have a repository holding multiple packages/modules,
> > but as opposed to svn, where each "module" is a separate folder, I
> > need multiple packages/modules to contain files in the same folder.
> >
> > So, assume that I have the following files:
> >
> > dir1/file1 (belongs to package 1)
> > dir1/file2 (belongs to package 1)
> > dir1/file3 (belongs to package 2)
> > dir2/file1 (belongs to package 1)
> > dir2/file2 (belongs to package 2)
>
> With darcs, I would set up two repositories (package1 and package2).
> I would then set up a combined repository:
>
>   darcs get package1 combined
>   cd combined
>   darcs pull ../package2
>
> I would then continue to make edits to 'package1' and 'package2', and keep
> 'combined' up-to-date by pulling from both source repositories.

This is what we have planned (and did with "svn copy" and "svn
merge"), but it's OK when there are two packages, and comes to a NP
problem when there are 10 packages present (i.e.: I cannot afford to
provide all possible combinations of ten packages). For one of the two
projects where this could be applied, it would stil lbe doable (there
should be repositories for approximately 5 different platforms, and
one or two optional packages for each, which makes 5x4=20
repositories, approxmately 300MB each (and no more than 600 MB of
different files in total), but I'm not sure that I would want to go
that way).

For the other project with *lots* of packages, I can simply forget
about that idea.

> There has been talk about nested repositories in darcs, but the
> concept is still very ellusive.

Please let me know if something gets implemented.

Thanks a lot,
    Mojca