[darcs-users] packages + revision control: is that possible?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 09:03:01 UTC 2007

On 9/12/07, Ben Coburn wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2007, at 09:16, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been googling around, but found no satisfactory solution so far.
> > I would like to have a repository holding multiple packages/modules,
> > but as opposed to svn, where each "module" is a separate folder, I
> > need multiple packages/modules to contain files in the same folder.
> >
> > [...]
> >

> This sounds a lot like something I've been working on -- a wrapper
> around darcs to automate and enforce modular repository semantics.
> Modules are defined as a regular expression match on repository file
> paths so it can be quite flexible.
>
> The wrapper is designed for use on application repositories with
> clearly defined submodules. Ideally this means a well defined
> interface and one or more concrete implementations, though
> documentation can easily be considered a module as well. This should
> give one the ability to pull or unpull concrete implementations at
> will by pulling or unpulling their respective "modules". It also can
> apply tags at the module level (not just the whole repository) and
> use those tags to "update" modules to the latest "stable" tag, or
> current state repository state.
>
> Anyway, it's not ready for release, but I plan to use it myself... so
> it should be finished real soon now. ;-)

I would be really interested in trying that once you're finished.

The only requirement is that it may not be too complicated for an
end-user to install some exotic binaries (in the sense: please
download the source of darcs, apply that patch and recompile it; it's
never going to be included in the main stream), but I hope that's not
the case.

Plese let me know once you have something to play with :)

Thanks a lot,
     Mojca