[darcs-users] darcs 2 stability, and darcs development future

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Apr 8 17:35:14 UTC 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 12:30 AM, Alex Lance wrote:

> I use darcs everyday. It is outstanding. I was just thinking about
> updating to darcs 2, and was wondering if anyone had any good/bad
> things to
> say about upgrading?

I would say to go for it.  Darcs-2 appears to be less buggy than
darcs-1, based on personal experience, issue tracking, and automated
testing, and you can always switch back to darcs-1 as needed
(assuming you don't go to the darsc-2-repository-format, which is not
necessary in order to start using darcs-2-executable).

> Also could someone give me an idea of the level of development
> activity? I.e. are there lots of developers actively working on
> darcs? It
> doesn't sound as if there are. This perception seems to be
> preventing my
> workplace from committing to darcs as the main VCS. Just FYI.
>
> BTW I stumbled upon this:
> http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-devel/2008-April/007778.html
>
> And (to my eye) it paints a very bleak picture for the future of the
> project. Is the future for darcs bleak? :)

I'm personally not worried about it.  Darcs-2 seems to be good
enough, and the level of development seems to be sufficient to fix
important bugs in a reasonable time frame.

My interpretation of that post is "David Roundy is burnt out and
needs to take a break or cut back on darcs responsibilities.".

Supposing he cuts back to just occasional core hacking, and no longer
takes responsibility for "project management" and other stuff.  Or
suppose that he even decides to move to an Old World monastery and
meditate for the next ten years and contribute nothing to darcs.
Maybe this would mean that darcs would wither without its main
contributor.  Or maybe it would mean that it would flourish, as other
people would decide to jump into the void left by David.

I would actually bet on the latter, since darcs is widely used and
widely loved, and it is written in a language that many good
programmers are enthusiastic about.  One of the beauties of open
source (GPL) projects is that usually don't die off if a lot of good
programmers love them.  :-)

But even if darcs slows down and finally ceases improvement, it will
still serve as a good revision control tool for the next several
years for my purposes, and there will be no trouble in switching away
from it to another tool later.

Regards,

Zooko