[darcs-users] Merge two recorded changes

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue Apr 15 18:10:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Ashley Moran <
ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just realised how brilliant amend-record is.  But can it do this?
>
> If I have these recorded changes:
> * 4 (depends on 2)
> * 3 (depends on 2)
> * 2
> * 1
>
> Is there any way to modify 2 to include 3, so I have this history:
> * 4
> * 2 (now includes 3)
> *1
>
> I was still used to subversion thinking "oops I didnt commit
> everything, better put the rest in as a separate patch", but I
> recorded several more changes before I thought about merging these two.

I think there are two things you'll want to consider.

1)  Darcs knows when one patch depends on another at the patch level.  So if
2 is required to apply 3, then when cherry picking 3 you'll also get 2.

2)  If you have two patches that don't depend on each other at the patch
level, but are related, then you can use --ask-deps to explicitly make 3
depend on 2.  Check the manual for more details:
http://darcs.net/manual/node7.html#SECTION00761000000000000000

I'm not aware of a way to coalesce or collapse the patches, but knowing the
above and using amend-record/--ask-deps should get you what you want.

Hope that helps,
Jason