[darcs-users] Merging darcs-devel and darcs-users into a single mailing list

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Apr 17 14:33:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 03:49:30PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > This wouldn't cause any problems, I don't think. -user has a
> > significant trend downward to somewhere around 30KB a month from 300KB
> > in April 2005, while -devel is still a active mailing list.
>
> Your point seems to be that adding -user wouldn't raise the traffic on
> -dev much.  My concern is more that adding -dev to user could raise the
> traffic and "noise" (from my perspective) on that list.
>
> As I said, if that's the trade off for a better chance of getting an
> answer, then I personally think it's worth it.
>
> David Roundy was very helpful in answering some questions I had a few
> months ago, and I do wonder if his announcement that he was focusing on
> development means that if I asked those questions now they would go
> unanswered.  (It also means I'm not sure if I should keep him on the cc
> list.  Sorry if you didn't want to get this!)

It's true that I'm not reading the mailing lists any more, and that might
lead to fewer questions being answered.  I don't mind being cced on issues
that I need to be aware of (and the question of merging the lists counts,
since I'd have to do that myself, I think).

I think the real question is whether the -users list is useful to folks.
If few enough developers subscribe to it so that questions can't/don't get
answered, then it makes sense to eliminate it so as to keep users from
being frustrated by asking questions in an empty room.  But as folks say,
maybe a low volume list is just what our users want (or some of them).

And since it's more effort to change things than to leave them alone, I
lean towards leaving them alone.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University