[darcs-users] fromJust error in darcs-2.0.0

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 23:02:35 UTC 2008

On 2008.04.24 10:06:18 -0400, David Roundy <daveroundy at gmail.com> scribbled 5.5K characters:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Greg Holtz <gh2377 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >  I know this is really wrong, but I changed all instances of
> > getSymbolicLinkStatus to getFileStatus, and things seem to
> > work now. I did double check the whole tree to make sure
> > there were no symbolic links.
>
> It shouldn't actually cause trouble.  In fact, some folks argue that
> we should use getFileStatus instead of getSymbolicLinkStatus, so that
> we'd automatically follow symlinks.  (I think there's a bug on the
> tracker for this.)  So there's no danger that I'm aware of, of using
> getFileStatus as a workaround for a bug in getSymbolicLinkStatus.

Do you know any more specifics about that bug? I tried searching for symbolic links and getSymbolicLinkStatus and getFileStatus, and I eyeballed the link of outstanding bugs, but I didn't see anything.

If switching would solve Greg's bug, and there's no particularly compelling reason to not follow symbolic links, I guess we should just ask Greg for a patch and apply it?

--
gwern
E.T. CDA SAI LEETAC Hague 50BMG Meade SIGDASYS guest 26