[darcs-users] large initialization patches

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Sun Apr 27 17:33:31 UTC 2008

Tommy Pettersson wrote:
> implementation. The second problem, as you would possibly notice
> long into the future when it's much too late, is that every new
> patch you record will depend on this whole initialization patch,
> so you can not pull out small parts of the source tree, should

Gosh, I never understood this, but it makes sense. Thanks!

Then, should darcs split up the initial patch by file automatically, to
preserve maximum flexibility and efficiency ?

And if so, why should it not do this for every patch ?

I think there must be some difference between the initial case and later
patches which explains why  we wouldn't want to do this every time. I
guess it is that we want normal patches to stay atomic to communicate
their meaning, but for the initial patch we don't care.

-Simon