[darcs-users] darcs-2 performs really well for the "darcs get" use case

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Apr 29 15:36:07 UTC 2008

On Apr 29, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Ashley Moran wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2008, at 00:00, zooko wrote:
>
>> 2.  Starting using hashed-format repositories.
>
> Interesting benchmarks!  What about the darcs 2 repository format?

I didn't try it.  Here -- now that you ask so nicely, I'll do so.

Okay, the result is that darcs-2-format performs exactly the same way
that hashed-format does on the "darcs get --lazy" test.

>   If you have no need to preserve darcs 1 compatability, should you
> switch to the new format?  How come you didn't do that in this case?

I need to preserve compatibility to darcs-1 for now.

> Which is supposed to be faster?

I think the point of the darcs-2-format is new improved patch semantics:

http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/DarcsTwo

Regards,

Zooko