[darcs-users] Windows version of darcs wont 'get'

Jon Hart jon at mmmpie.com
Wed Apr 30 04:36:43 UTC 2008

>> But when I try to grab my own repo through a website I get an error
>> about the inventory directory being missing.
>> My repo doesnt have an inventory directory, it does have an
>> 'inventories' directory though.
>> What am I doing wrong here?
>> My repo is hosted at
>> http://darcs.mmmpie.com/hb
>
> It seams to be a fire wall problem. The host darcs.mmpie.com
> doesn't respond to www connections (port 80).

Laptops just aren't meant to be servers. Not so much a firewall, just
asleep.

I investigated the problem I had with the repo, and I have replicated
the contents
of the _darcs directory. The source of the problem is my use of a
darcs-2 repo.

What command should I use to get a copy of a darcs-2 repo?
darcs get http://some-darcs-2.repo doesnt work, do I need to pass some
sort of
argument to make it try to parse the darcs-2 format? This just works
when the repo
is local ( file system ).

So far I have been using darcs for a few days, and it has failed
pretty much every
expected operation.

	- The windows build does not support http out of the box and the
installation
		instructions do not mention this.
	- darcs initialize does not create darcs-2 repos by default ( why
would I bother
		downloading darcs 2 then? )
	- darcs get doesnt work with darcs-2 repos, cant find any docs on
using this
		with darcs-2 repos
	- it is really really slow. when I perform a darcs whatsnew -l I can
sit and
		count as the 3000 files it checks get counted off. A quick wrist check
		puts it at around 10 seconds
	- the patches I created took so long to apply that I gave up, after
two days
		of running darcs apply. The patch files were about 60mb, and had
		changes to pretty much all 3000 files.
	- the first time I tried to apply a patch darcs failed with a stack
overflow
		yes, there is some documentation about this, but how about a
suggestion,
		or even rerun it for the user
	- I cant cherry pick patches out of my repo to send to someone else
unless I
		have access to their copy of the repo or a context

Thats just my experience so far. I will continue to use darcs. I
really like the idea, and
I really like not have a source server. But it has not been an easy
process. User experience
is one area where darcs could shine compared to other systems.

Jon Hart.