[darcs-users] darcs2 performance regression

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 20:40:00 UTC 2008

Jason Dagit wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
> <mailto:simonmarhaskell at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've switched to using darcs2 locally (no repo changes yet, just to see
>     how well it works as a drop-in replacement).  It seems to be noticeably
>     slower for many of the operations I do day to day.
>
> You listed whatsnew and amend-record.  Do any others come to mind?

Yes, now that you mention it, add and remove are very slow.  In that
same testsuite repository:

$ time darcs2 add ghc-e006.hs
8.10s real   7.22s user   0.56s system   96% darcs add ghc-e006.hs
$ time darcs2 remove ghc-e006.hs
16.00s real   14.54s user   0.96s system   96% darcs remove ghc-e006.hs

and darcs-1:

$ time /usr/bin/darcs add ghc-e006.hs
0.03s real   0.01s user   0.01s system   93% /usr/bin/darcs add ghc-e006.hs
$ time /usr/bin/darcs remove ghc-e006.hs
0.37s real   0.16s user   0.07s system   62% /usr/bin/darcs remove
ghc-e006.hs

> Have
> you enabled the global cache mechanism?  Have you experimented with the
> repository format upgrades?  So many questions, so little time :)

Not in production yet, no.  I'm still using my old darcs-1 repositories
for now so that I can still use darcs-1 if anything goes wrong.

Cheers,
	Simon