[darcs-users] [Haskell-cafe] Re: poll: how can we help you contribute to darcs?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Aug 6 06:02:09 UTC 2008

Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de> writes:

>> Can I convert my working repos to darcs-2?

> No. You cannot push or pull between darcs-2 format repos and darcs-1 or
> hashed format repos. This might not be optimal but is understandable, since
> the theory underlying the darcs-2 repository format is different.

So if I'm pulling from/pushing to a darcs-2-format repo, my local repo
must be darcs-2 as well?

> The more important problem is that conversion to darcs-2 format doesn't
> support multiple branches at all.

To make this perfectly clear: this is the *conversion process* only,
you can still have multiple branches *after* all repos have been
synced to a single conversion. Right?)

Should something like this work?

    darcs convert main main-2
    cd branch
    mv _darcs old_darcs
    cp -a ../main-2/_darcs .
    darcs rec -am "amalgam of changes in 'branch'"

(But you'd lose your recorded history specific to the branch.)

-k