[darcs-users] [Haskell-cafe] Re: poll: how can we help you contribute to darcs?

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Aug 7 01:35:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Anatoly Yakovenko <aeyakovenko at gmail.com>wrote:

> I would gladly contribute to darcs if I could use it.  And I would use
> it if it was fast (at worst twice as slow as git) and stable for the
> simple things that i want to do.  So this is a chicken and egg problem
> for me.

Interesting.  Is your experience with darcs just with the GHC repository?
Except for the darcs1 exponential merge problem, I would be surprised if
darcs2 repositories are more than twice as slow as git for common
operations.  I know git is faster and I know darcs annotate is painfully
slow; but I think that's mainly because the git algorithms have better
asymptotic complexities at the cost of user visible complexity and cognitive
load.  Darcs was meant to be simple for the user.  Do you feel that it's
complex because people discuss patche theory and debate about how to
rigorously define it?

What is a simple thing you want to do that darcs is not stable for?  With
the exception of windows and ghc, darcs stable releases has always been rock
solid for me, so I would like to hear examples of what you mean.

Maybe if you can gut darcs into a really simple and basic vcs that is
> fast and really really stable, and allow plugins that wont compromise
> your repository then I would gladly use it and contribute in areas
> where i can improve it.

I thought darcs was already a really simple and basic vcs that is really
realy stable...So you're just asking for faster and a plugin system, right?
:-)  (Obviously you don't agree, and I like to tease, but that's fine your
feedback is what we want so we can improve.)

What would plugins do?  Each darcs command has a mechanism for automatically
running a script before or after the command.  Or maybe you have no
complaint about the current flexibility and want a more secure way to run
the scripts?

Thanks,
Jason