[darcs-users] darcs patch: buggy code: only partially process hunks

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Aug 7 06:28:48 UTC 2008

I'm so happy that I finally removed the bug I introduced that I'm sending
the first version that doesn't have the bug for comparison.  I made at
least one bug with the type witnesses that I should have caught when GHC
was giving me type errors about it but I managed to confuse myself enough
that I did the worst possible thing by adding an unsafeCoerceP.  Otherwise
I think the bugs I introduced were quite subtle.

The frustrating part is that the type checker can't help us against
the main type of mistake I made in this module.  Functions like fromPrims
are just too polymorphic for the type checker to do any good.  This
makes me sad (especially, when you consider how many hours I've wasted
on this in the last 2 days).  The good news is that I think this havoc
is more or less isolated to Darcs.Repository.Internal.

I should be able to merge together all the work I've done and send a
new cumulative patch tomorrow morning and get back on schedule.

Jason

Wed Aug  6 23:18:04 PDT 2008  Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com>
  * buggy code: only partially process hunks