[darcs-users] darcs patch: Highlight the global cache as a best pra... (and 1 more)

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 22:00:04 UTC 2008

Excerpts from Eric Y. Kow's message of Thu Aug 07 23:43:10 +0200 2008:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 14:33:56 -0700, Simon Michael wrote:
> > Aside, a pity about unpull being deprecated - I still find it more
> > mnemonic and logical than "obliterate". Anyone interested in a patch
> > that brings it back and by default shows a clear warning when you use it ?
>
> The most appealing option so far -- I forget whose idea this was --
> would be to reinstate unpull as a new command that actually checks to
> make sure that the unpulled patch still exists in defaultrepo.

That would be a good idea.

> One slightly surprising aspect of this, however, would be that darcs
> unpull would now involve a potential (e.g. ssh) connection to a remote
> repo

Right, however having a message like:

  Checking for copies of that patch...

Would make the connection obvious.

However I will prefer to have it has a default behavior of both obliterate and
unpull, plus have an option like --force, or --no-check-for-copies.

> Having hid the unpull command, I still use it :-)

That's a great command! However in the mean time I prefer to use and teach the
obliterate name for this command that sounds less safe.

Best regards,

--
Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai