[darcs-users] unpull vs obliterate

Alex Lance alla at cyber.com.au
Fri Aug 8 18:04:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 01:29:38PM -0400, Mark Stosberg wrote:

> > - Introduce "unobliterate".
>
> No. This implies that data can never truly be gotten rid of.

No it doesn't. The issue of expunging old patches would need to be
looked at if the feature proposal went forward.

> I agree with the mentioned sentiment to use "rollback" if you want to keep
> old patches around, and obliterate if you don't.

Rollback solves a different problem.

The intention behind adding the functionality of "unobliterate"
(nomenclature non-withstanding) is to:

- add symmetry and safety to the "obliterate" command
- help bury "unpull" (by removing the desire to extend it's functionality as suggested)

It simplifies the interface. And you could theoretically have a switch
on the obliterate command that allows you to specify whether patches are
moved to the trash can, or permanently deleted, by default.

And yes, if this functionality was ever implemented "obliterate" and
"unobliterate" should probably be named something else.

Alex