[darcs-users] UTF8 patch

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 01:38:45 UTC 2008

On 2008.08.09 23:48:33 +0100, "Eric Y. Kow" <eric.kow at gmail.com> scribbled 1.3K characters:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 11:33:02 -0600, rob at hoelzro.net wrote:
> > Adds support for utf8-string if the user has it installed.
>
> As Gwern suggests, it may just be worthwhile to make this mandatory, in
> the interest darcs code distillation.  Any comments on encode and
> errors, Rob?
>
> --
> Eric Kow <http://www.nltg.brighton.ac.uk/home/Eric.Kow>

Well, as I've said on #darcs: I'm not a UTF expert, but it seems to me that since we only use 'encode', and since apparently 'encode' only operates on [Char]s and the IO functions which could give us Chars are runtime are not supposed to ever give us bad Chars, error handling isn't an issue. But I'm not sure of this which is why I was hoping for input for other people before I did anything more than just clear cruft out of UTF8.lhs.

--
gwern
JFKSWC X Montenegro press-release conspiracy Pine Bellsouth CIO Gulf site